Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Grand Theft Auto

For years I had successfully imposed the, "No violent video games in my house" rule. If any of my boys even hinted that they wanted one of those games, they would have to endure endless hours of my stories about how unglamorous it is to grow up in the projects or the ghetto or a major city if you can't employ several body guards to walk around with you.


I'd make my sons listen to me go on and on about how I could not walk or drive through any number of sections in Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, Manhattan or the Bronx because I could be attacked by bigoted mobs with baseball bats, mobs intent on robbing me, wilding police or just plain ol' sicko rapists. Why, having lived this, would I want my children playing with a game that celebrates this madness?

Well the other day, I happened into the living room and there they were on the $300 plus xbox playing this "game". I went crazy! Their response? "Mom, we are responsible teenagers now, not middle school dorks who don't know the difference between a game and a bad influence..."

Ironically, while my AP and Honors student tried explain why he lost his mind, playing in the background on my kitchen TV was the CSPAN hearings of even bigger car thieves - the CEOs of the so-called Big 3 auto manufacturers. Visions of Michael Moore's Roger and Me converged in my brain with flashbacks of my risk soaked days living the viva loca in New York City in my way cool pre-war apartment and how I traded in all in for a Chrysler mini van, 3 kids and a mortgage with an interest rate scheduled to reset in a few years. WHY????



Well, there is always knitting...




And escapes to cool knitting spots -



Charity yarn being sorted at Creative Knitworks in Hillsdale, New Jersey. The many bins of yarn will go to afterschool programs in Paterson, NJ and other youth programs in and around New Jersey!
That's Sharon, the owner, enjoying being in textile heaven!

7 comments:

cici said...

yes... there is always knitting...and, Thank Goodness for that!:D

Anonymous said...

Yikes! How did they get around you?? I totally agree about those horrible games.

At least there's knitting, which looks incredibly soothing. The pink hat is adorable!

Beatriz said...

Well, you tried. I like the pink hat...looks super soft.

Lynn said...

Yes, there is the knitting. Makes watching the news easier to bear.

sherry said...

We live in a parallel son/video game universe. Our $300 x-box is wrapped for Christmas. The violent games have been given into, though for us it isn't Grand Theft Auto, it's war games. They will have to be played in the boy's lair and not in the living room though.

Torhild Reidardatter said...

We totally agree- but as your son said: they are now responsible teenagers now ( who made them become just that? YOU!)- and yes! you tried( we all tried to stop those sick games)- and thank goodness for knitting and joyfull yarn heaven.

Anonymous said...

ooooh, textile heaven. Soft, squishy and far far away from reality. I'll live there, thank you. ;)