Monday, February 08, 2010

My Mandela Moment


February 11, 2010 markes the 20th anniversary of the release of South African political prisoner and father of a revolution, Nelson Mandela.

This morning I sent members of my family to South Africa for 5 days of festivities that my friend Duma Ndlovu and the South African government have planned. Because of a very serious business commitment, I could not go (sob, sniffle, wail). But I will definitely enjoy hearing all about the thrilling events to come including trips to Parliament, dinner with MosDef and President Zuma, events with Nelson AND Winnie Mandela, a symbolic walk from that dreadful prison where so many dissidents were beaten, tortured and murdered, speeches, teach ins, song, dances and great food.

No doubt had I gone, I would have found the Be Sweet folks and spent many hours fondling their lovely goodness!




So tell me, what was your Mandela Moment?

11 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Deborah, as I work on the 46664 Bangle project every day, my Mandela Moments are pretty constant. These official wrist bracelets of the 46664 Campaign of the Nelson Mandela Foundation help generate funds, build skills, create jobs, and raise awareness of HIV AIDS prevention.

Please see more info at http://www.theBangle.com and if you like what the 46664 Bangle initiative represents, please help us spread the word. Every bangle sold has a positive impact on people’s lives!

Thank you.

Ina said...

My Mandela Moment was when the Truth and Reconciliation Commission opened its investigation into the murder of Stephen Biko. I didn't think it could happen in my lifetime.

Anonymous said...

I saw a documentary a couple of weeks ago on British TV about Winnie Mandella and what happened to her during Nelson's incarceration. I had never really liked her before but this documentary of how her life had panned out while Nelson was away, made me have much more empathy for her. I hadnt known that she had been tortured by white SA police and the humiliation, torment and loneliness she suffered, which caused her to have an alcohol problem, made me understand why Nelson wanted her to be with him as he left the prison because she did pay a very heavy price for being his wife.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kristine said...

What a great experience for your family! It was nice seeing you recently although brief. Love the pics of those beautiful women!!

Kyra said...

Deborah - I remember on the day Mandela was released, I stayed home from work and quilted while I watched the news coverage on TV!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sherman Unkefer said...

Cool experience for you and your loved ones! Happy 2011!

Bona Fide Knitter said...

Deborah,

Where are you? It's been almost a year. Miss your posts and pictures. Please come back.

Carrie said...

Just stopped by to say I miss you and your blog :) -Carrie from Violets are Blue :)

Weight Loss said...

One issue that has overwhelmed many individuals who are overweight and stout is that of cardiovascular illness. Constraining the measure of calories you are eating once a day enormously encourages you to bring down your odds of being in danger of coronary illness and elevated cholesterol, and you ought to observe how much greasy sustenances you are taking in.

https://ideal-shops.com/