Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Skillz

Evidently I no longer have the right stuff to fix a computer. After much gnashing of the teeth, I've finally completed piecing together my operating system so I can at least load web pages. This "fix" will have to suffice until santa (hint, hint) drops me a new machine because I ain't even thinking about going through a system restore on this computer. Nobody would ever believe that I used to do this for a living 20 years ago. That was long before the destruction of billions and billions of my brain cells that, I must tell you my mamma never told me would occur after nursing 3 babies.

Yup that's one of those 3 babies and my mamma

So, what have I been up to? I'm almost done with my hoodie sweater but I don't think it will fit. Lots of knitting but no pictures for now, what I'd like to show you are some catching up flicks from the past few weeks.

Fortunately, being under domestic duress for nearly 20 years, one does acquire a new skill set:



Don't think that anyone in the picture below even notices what all is required to make anything from scratch but hey, at least we girls can appreciate a decent German Chocolate cake!

Thanksgiving was spent at my brother's house in Delaware. It was the first year that I didn't have to cook for what seemed like millions.


Stashing on Ravelry

I completed photographing much of my stash for Ravelry. Hopefully this exercise will remind me what I got so I won't buy any more!

A Family Affair
As you all know, I've been making chemo caps for my brother-in-law Larry James. What I didn't know was that his job was also making stuff for him, a huge tribute of 800 guests to honor his commitment to the world athletic and academic communities.



Olympic Team, 1968

Larry was part of the spirited 1968 Olympic Track and Field Team. He and many of his team mates endured enormous obstacles living in America at the time. They were expected to represent their country with pride while being segregated against and denied equal access to many institutions across our country.

Olympic Team, 2007

Larry thanking the guests. That's my sister under the flag.

Me with my niece and my sister's and Larry's granddaughter

That's my Jonathan cooling his heels at his table. At 13, he had 2 social conflicts that night - a huge Bar Mitzvah in New York City and a basketball game. I should have his social life!

After the testimonial that included his college teammates; Olympic teammates and officials; college and board presidents; and many colleagues, we were surprised to see that the school renamed their stadium to the G. Larry James Stadium!

We had the best time.

That's my little sister, her daughter and the tiny one standing is another granddaughter of my sister and Larry.

14 comments:

Torhild Reidardatter said...

OH, congrats on you brother in-law. wow, All of you must be so proud of him.Nice going.
Nice to have you back.. hope Santa will fulfill your wishes.

Sheila said...

What a Grand Honor to your brother--in-law and enjoyed reading about his accomplishments. Thanks for sharing.

hakucho said...

Oh, boy does that German Chocolate cake looks sooo good.

Congratulations to your brother-in-law! That was such a nice tribute to him and I bet he was happy to have all of his family with him for the celebration :)

Sure hope Santa brings you what you want for Christmas...got my fingers crossed for you!

NikkiJ said...

Wow! What a huge honor. I'm sure your 13-year old will appreciate the importance of these occurrences soon. How proud you all must be.

Phyllis said...

We need an email addy to forward this to, so that Santa hears about the computer. We know that it needs to be photoshop friendly, and impervious to yarn fluff.

WandaWoman said...

What a beautiful tribute to your BIL. That's amazing to learn he was on the Olympic team.

Virtuous said...

Oh my goodness I didn't realize your BIL was on the Olympic team! What a fabulous tribute to him!!

And what a wonderful Thanksgiving you had! Can't wait to hear about Christmas.

I can't believe you used to be in technology!

Hope to hear from you again before Santa drops off your new computer to you! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what history! That is really cool, Deborah. Great pics of everyone, too.

Lynn said...

How very cool!! Loved all the family pictures, and what a big family!! Congrats to your BIL, but most importantly I hope he's beating the cancer.

Mary Anne said...

Congratulations to your brother-in-law and a lovely tribute to him. Great photos too.

ps: I sure hope santa hears your request.

Patricia said...

I had to pop a Tums after that delicious post.
What a wonderful tribute to your BIL! Tell Santa that you've been nice!

Anonymous said...

Good day Deborah,
Congrats to your brother in-law !!! Thank you so much for the family photos. Thanks for sharing.

Carrie said...

What a beautiful and amazing family!!! :) The way you talk about your son is hilarious... btw!

After tossing 3 pc's, I have my Mac and I would recommend it to everyone. Santa... if you are reading this... take a visit to the Apple store... that's if Deborah doesn't mind ;)

Okay... and the food at your house... that cake!!! My heavens!!! I want to be in your family :)

Rebecca said...

love the food shots! ham AND german chocolate cake AND all that pineapple! mmmm MMMM mmmmm! congrats to your brother-in-law. that's great that he was honored! and that you were there, too.