Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Falling off the Wagon

For the past 7 years or so I've been on a self-imposed 12 step program. I am a recovering political junkie. Knitting has been my therapy and it has worked, for the most part. I kept this blog, for the most part, clean from politics. Right?

Staying "clean" during an election year is too much for anyone who suffers with my addiction. The worst part of politics, for me, is this elusive thing called truth. I don't think truth is possible in politics, I mean it could be fatal. Fatal to the liar and fatal to the 'liee'. And, it seems, it screws up marriages (and most countries) faster than any high speed beemer could! Unlike knitting. Truth is easily found with knitting. Like the time I attempted my first lace project without knowing how to read a lace pattern and not even bothering to reacquaint my 10 year old dormant skills with ssk or passo. This was my result


Notice the ginormous gaps randomly placed. duh? What was I thinking? I wasn't being truthful that's for sure.

In addition to not always being truthful with my knitting, I have knitting ADHD. I start lots of projects depending on my mood. I tell myself, "self, you're not hurting a soul by starting something else." You see you can't do that with war. It is advisable to finish one before you start another.

Here's a sample of all that I have on my needles right now and, fast fanny me, signed up some of these projects for the Ravelmpics!

My 2nd Shalom cardi
Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed


Margarita tank, Rowan cottan braid


Clapotis, Classic Elite Bam Boo Print
ran out, must find 1 more skein...



My first Shalom Cardi


My 2nd Pinwheel sweater
Ultra Alpaca

A mohair stadium sweater coat

Whelp, with all of that said and done, I'm off to the Democratic National Convention this weekend therefore falling off my 12 step wagon big time. What will I be doing? Knitting, of course, and I hope trying to get some of those delegates to chill and knit some too. I came across some great yarn at Black Bunny Fibers that I'll be bringing called Unity yarn.

I hope that by publicly knitting this yarn I can coax up some Unity. Am I being naive? Aw geez, cynicism crossed with expectation can equal farce but I'm hoping that I can get some delegates to help me knit up a unity scarf or something. I have to be hopeful, after these past 8 years of Katrina and war and rumors of war, it would be easier to go back into my knitting closet and shut out these issues and dream of color in smooshy socks. But, even Rumpelstiltskin woke up after a while...


13 comments:

cici said...

i can totally relate here.I was way over commited on my ravelympics. Thank God we can have truth in knitting. I think I will join you with my Black Bunny "Audacity" and knit something., Good luck at the convention. We will be waiting to hear your thoughts.:D

Virtuous said...

Gurl love the last line of your post! And you are right!

Enjoy the DNC and keeping HOPE!!

I have been trying to get her Audacity yarn for a minute now off of Ravelry to no success!
Will have to re-visit her site to see if she has a different order method now....

Rebecca said...

have a great time in Denver. totally understand about keeping it clean on the blog! if more politicians knitted....

hakucho said...

Happy Knitting at the convention :)
Can't wait to hear all about it!

hope said...

Instead of Ravelympics, we all should have been knitting with Unity yarn. Since my name is Hope I have to be hopeful. So here's hoping the convention does unite and that we can get the rest of the country to go along.

Have fun in Denver.

Beverly said...

Have a great time at the convention. Will be waiting for the tale of "Unity."

Hopelovepeace said...

here are the lys stores in denver just so you have them....

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114377575878805209538.0004550e5bcc3aab422c1&z=11

Patricia said...

Just go of work so I don't know big O's running ate, in case of announcement. Are the gaps in the shawls gaps of no poliblogging?

AR said...

Your projects look like mine. A lot of 'em and not done. lol

Sorry you've fallen off the wagon, but have fun. ;)

Anonymous said...

Girl, I am in awe of your knitting productivity. Have a great time at the DNC!!!

WandaWoman said...

I know what you mean about being overcommitted with the knitting projects. But you are coming to Denver?! If so, you must give me a call. Send me an email and I'll give you my cell. I live in Denver and would love to see you while you're visiting the Mile High City!

Ina said...

Have a fantastic time in Denver. I'll be knitting Unity with you in spirit!

Carrie said...

I have dozens of projects that are 75% finished... it's a curse. But, it can be a blessing, too... see how you are relaxed and doing one thing and another pops into your head and you get excited about it? That means, the relaxing you are doing is working :) Anything to get your mind off of politics ;) I can't talk about them, either... my best friend... well, let's just say her co-workers got her a soap box for her birthday. I just keep all comments to myself ;) Hope your computer is up and running as it should, soon... or get a new one... didn't you have this problem not too long ago???