Tuesday, July 24, 2007

HOW DO YOU SELL A POOL???

I've had it. I'm done. I need to sell my pool, any ideas?

This morning, with my morning coffee, I go out to the garden to enjoy my lilies. They are in bloom and their fragrance in the morning air is delicious.

As I approach the yard, I'm always a bit hesitant about where I step since those hawks have taken up residency here. I'd hate to trip over any more bunny heads. Once I've established that all is well in the garden, I have to peer around the deck to look at the pool and hope that all is well there too. Two years ago, a pipe to the sprinkler system blew over night and flooded the pool. Water poured everywhere, out of the pool and flowed like a waterfall down the garden steps. What a mess that was.

With my coffee in hand and the perfume of my lilies still fresh in my mind, I pushed those disaster thoughts away and just enjoyed the fresh air and beautiful morning. But then, I notice, there's something floating in the pool. That &%$# dang pool...








I thought that it was a squirrel. A black squirrel. I've never seen a black squirrel in New Jersey least of all in my yard. Mary Anne over on Miss Woolly Knits always features black squirrels on her blog and I just knew that's what must be floating. Until...




Y'all remember that skunk I had a problem with last summer right??



WHY ME???!!!



My soon to be 16 year old and recently employed teenage son took care of the disposal details. Except when he pulled it out, the smell caused him to drop it in the bucket and flee. What a wus...


Needless to say, I no longer smell the lilies.

28 comments:

carlita dee said...

Oh so gross! I admire your son's valor for even trying to mess with that thing.

Calling on Kahlo said...

Ewww. Awesome son though! Wus or no wus, he did more than I could ;)

Anonymous said...

Deborah, WHAT did you do to anger the nature gods?? LOL. It's always something in your yard!

f. pea said...

thanks for the HUGE laugh! (and sorry to laugh at your expense, but that was hilarious). at least the skunk won't be bothering you anymore on mild summer evenings when you have your windows open...

WandaWoman said...

Oh, my goodness, that is awful. Skunks, phew.

Gina said...

What a coincidence! I am from NJ (before the move) and just as we were ready to close on the sale of the house, I had a squirrel jump into the pool. My step son took the pole to try and grab him out and the little (booger) climbed up the net onto the pole and he dropped it squeeling like a little girl! All the kids are screaming and a neighbor hears us and comes over, reaches in with the net, grabs the beastie by the tail and throws it on the side of the pool...The vermin had the nerve to died on the side...needless to say, it had to lay there till The Hubbs got home.
Urban girls don't do squirrels...

Diane said...

Hawks leaving parts of animals in your yard and now a skunk saying, "good bye cruel world" before jumping in your pool to die. What's happening in NJ?

Anonymous said...

eeeek! skunks in the pool. the worst animal story i have is that a possum died on my front yard. brave son though. my son would have preferred a punishment. ;)

hakucho said...

Thanks...for the picture and guess what I can smell it, too!! I feel so badly for you. I'm so happy we don't have a pool and we NEVER will !!!

Jeanine said...

Ugh. That's awful. I'm trying to refrain from laughing.

Adrienne said...

Ewww, he is braver than I!! LOL

Virtuous said...

OMG!!! That is disgusting!! So sorry you had to go thru that!! Esp. your son! EWWW!

Mary Anne said...

oh my goodness, you seem to have the most interesting nature experiences in your backyard! I'm glad it wasn't a black squirrel but still...somehow I can almost smell that skunky smell from here :).

LaVerna said...

Black squirrel?Bless your heart!Maybe that skunk read your blog and decided that he wasn't wanted anymore.LOL!

Heidi said...

My jaw dropped!!!!! Why you??? Wow.

Anonymous said...

How'd you get the great photo? Did you dive in after all?

Lynn said...

Ok you have one of the most graphic blogs I read!!! Death and decomposition in the back yard. Such idyllic moments in your life......
Great son though, I'm impressed he fished it out. What is it with your yard?!?!!?

sturdygirl said...

oh no. i agree - i could not have done any better than your son...and i probably would have run screaming from the whole affair! too bad you couldn't smell the flowers anymore :(

Beatriz said...

First the hawks, now a skunk? That was great footage of the neighbors, btw! I was ROTFL at work. Wish I could buy the pool for you.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! We had a Bat in our Pool, my neighbor had a Bear swimming around in her above ground, and another neighbor had a deer take a swim - never a skunk!!!

Ina said...

EUW!!!

AR said...

Eww! I'm always afraid I'll run into a skunk if I'm outside at night. Guess they can't swim!

tonya5015 said...

there you go again with those darn animals.. you have the curse of the wild kingdom lurking over your house. move i say, move right now!!!!


lol
Tonya

sherry said...

So was disposal of the body the only problem, or did it leave a film of skunk oil in the pool? Definitely not fun.

Do they have black squirrels outside of British Columbia? The only time I've seen them was on a trip to Vancouver. One bit my husband (he was hand feeding it crachers)and he bled all over Stanley Park.

Patricia said...

Ahh, urban wildlife...when's the broadcast. Have you thought of a title? ;)

Janice said...

Maybe you could bottle the pool water and sell it as 'skunk water'. It probably has medicinal healing powers of some sort......

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.