Thursday, July 05, 2007

When your friends move...



You remember my friend Phyllis? She is moving to another town. She says that it is only minutes away. I know that we don't spend a lot of time together but there is something about proximity. I pass her house each time I have to go to the High School. I see her big picture window and I say to myself, "that's Phyllis' house." I tell my sons, if you are ever sick, go to Phyllis' house. Sometimes as I drive by her house, I remember a project that I have to ask her about. Driving past her house, seeing her walk her dog is a thing where proximity makes you feel closer to someone even when you don't spend a lot of time together.

It was raining buckets after my son's graduation. After the ceremony I walked back to her driveway that she so graciously lent me and my sister's vans. She offered us towels because we were drenched. Only friends do that kind of stuff.

Today Phyllis and I are going to hang out in Montclair, a few towns over. I'll bring along my son's going-off-to-college vest so she can help me with the shoulder decreases. I have no spatial sense at all and I always get crossed eyed when I have to do weird stuff with my knitting like measuring, grafting, decreasing for necks and other things that you have to do to garmets. It is amazing that I was ever able to knit a pair of socks.

8 comments:

carlita dee said...

Why does she have to go?

Calling on Kahlo said...

Oh, sorry Phyllis is moving. There is something bittersweet about those life changes.

On another note, I wish I had known you would be in my neck of the woods. I am actually going to be at stix this afternoon hanging out and getting knitting done (mmmaybe some shopping).

hakucho said...

Sorry your friend is moving...you'll still see her I'm sure. Be thankful she's not moving out of state or out of the country!

I'm always sad when people move away...guess you can tell I'm not good dealing with changes!

Diane said...

I hate change too. Just wait until Phyllis has been gone for years and you drive by and think, "That use to be Phyllis' house."

Jeanine said...

It sounds like alot of changes have been going on in your world lately. Sorry your friend is moving. Hope you had fun in Montclair.

Phyllis said...

Deborah will get over my move, especially when she realizes that a- her sons are already friends with the new occupants of the House With the Very Convenient Driveway and b- my "new" house is located on a lovely lake, close enough to a specialty grocery store that Deborah shops at anyways and now can say "I'm going to the store" and actually grab an hour of knitting time on the deck.
and of course c- kayak excursions!

Mary Anne said...

I loved reading Phyllis' comment here :). It's good to know your friend is so close and you'll always have a reason to visit.

Anonymous said...

Awww, I hope you still get to see her, but I know that having a friend that close by was nice.